This from the record label: “Golden Dawn Arkestra hails from a small planet in the constellation Cygnus, light-years away in the outermost reaches of the galaxy. The Arkestra conducts experiments involving space and time travel through the use of sound and movement. Their followers delight in these rituals; all bear witnesses to their higher selves and joyously bask in the eternal light that joins us all as one.
Armed with unique instrumentation that includes, horns, percussion, synthesizers and vibraphone, Golden Dawn Arkestra combines deep grooves with cinematic textures. The theatrical visuals of The Arkestra are enriched further by appearances from various dancers who, like the musicians, are adorned in shimmering garments reminiscent of intergalactic kingdoms of yore. Inspired to exuberance by ritualistic practices such as processions, chanting, and the power of the music itself, the audience falls into spellbound frenzies.”
01. Golden Dawn Arkestra – The End Is the Beginning (1:13)
02. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Mama Se (3:40)
03. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Allo Allo Boom (3:20)
04. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Showdown (3:15)
05. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Darkness Falls (5:09)
06. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Blood of Royalty (5:59)
07. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Hamza (4:48)
08. Golden Dawn Arkestra – Vetiver (4:19)
09. Golden Dawn Arkestra – The Beginning Is Ending (1:32)
As 2019 AKA Tru Thought’s 20th birthday year draws to a close, ‘Tru Thoughts 2019’ is the latest edition of their annual compilation series. Curated by A&R, co-owner and DJ – Robert Luis, the digital album celebrates the best of the wide-ranging and international releases from the year, featuring the finest of Tru Thoughts’ classic artists, new signings and inspired remixes. This compilation highlights a diverse selection of sounds, from neo-soul and electronica through to grime, jazz, UK hip-hop and leftfield dance music.
“It is always good to look back on the year of releases on Tru Thoughts. This compilation has a track from each release this year and features some of the more established artists alongside the new signings, highlighting the eclectic nature of the label and our commitment to creative artists across the world.” Robert Luis (Tru Thoughts A&R and co-owner).
02. Moonchild – Get to Know It (3:46)
03. Ego Ella May – How Far (3:06)
04. Terror Danjah – Wavy (3:13)
05. Quantic – You Used to Love Me (feat. Denitia) (6:18)
01. Rhi – Swagger (3:02)
06. Sefi Zisling – Happy Solar Return (feat. Kutiman) (9:08)
07. Pieces Of A Man – Listen (3:36)
08. Bryony Jarman-Pinto – Sun Kissed (4:19)
09. Hot 8 Brass Band – On the Spot (Animanz Remix) (4:23)
10. Nikitch, Kuna Maze – Zbra (4:34)
11. Strategy – Trinity Way (feat. Reece Williams) (4:54)
12. zero dB – Party Girl (7:36)
13. Lightning Head – Superfunky Bird (4:05)
14. WheelUP – Self Healing Machine (3:03)
15. Anchorsong – Ancestors (Souleance Remix) (4:00)
16. The Seshen – Dive (3:40)
17. Rodney P – The Next Chapter (Radio Edit) (2:54)
18. Gawd Status – Uranium (3:17)
19. Flowdan – Welcome to London (Radio Edit) (3:57)
20. Irah, Abstrakt Sonance – Duppy Show (Radio Edit) (3:48)
21. Wrongtom, The Ragga Twins – Woah! (Shop Soiled Dub) (3:44)
22. Animanz, Juanita Euka – Drink the Water (Dub) (3:57)
23. Uniting Of Opposites – Ancient Lights (Tim Liken Remix Instrumental) (3:34)
24. KingDem – The Conversation (We Ain’t Done Yet) [feat. Rodney P, Blak Twang, Ty] (Radio Edit) (3:37)
Let this be your introduction to Muro if you haven’t heard of him before.
Takayoshi Murota, better known as Muro, is well known for his crate digging of old records in order to (re)create new ones. Also known for having released many mixtapes on various formats, using sections and breaks from funk, soul, disco, and many other sounds.
When DJing live, Muro also is known for often doing 7″/45-only DJ sets, playing anything and everything; from disco to boogie to funk to soul.
Be on the lookout for any number of his compilations from Diggin’ Heat Winter Flavor, matter of fact all the Diggin’ Heats, Diggin’ Ice, Best of Tropicoool Boogie, Synthetic Boogie, and more.
Various artists: The Apollo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
UME Direct, 2019
THE APOLLO: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the audio accompaniment to the HBO documentary released November 6. Created by Oscar and Emmy-winning director Roger Ross Williams, THE APOLLO chronicles the unique history and contemporary legacy of New York City’s landmark Apollo Theater.
01. Kenneth J. Thompson – Kenneth J. Thompson, Apollo Greeter (0:15)
02. T. Griffin – Opening, The Apollo Theater (1:16)
03. Charles Mingus – Take The “A” Train (3:35)
04. Fletcher Henderson And His Orchestra – Memphis Blues (2:39)
05. Marion J. Caffey – Interview Excerpt 1 (0:15)
06. Ella Fitzgerald – How High The Moon (3:14)
07. Duke Ellington and His Cotton Club Orchestra – Old Man Blues (3:05)
08. Pearl Bailey – She’s Something Spanish (2:47)
09. Count Basie and his Orchestra – Jive At Five (2:50)
10. Ted Fox – Interview Excerpt 2 (0:11)
11. Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra – Strange Fruit (3:10)
12. Mikki Shepard – Interview Excerpt 3 (0:12)
13. Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On (3:40)
14. Kamilah Forbes – Interview Excerpt 4 (0:18)
15. James Brown – Say It Loud – I’m Black And I’m Proud (4:49)
16. Ta-Nehisi Coates – Interview Excerpt 5 (0:16)
17. Robert Glasper – Apollo As Home (0:30)
18. Gladys Knight & The Pips – Home Is Where the Heart Is (5:11)
19. Robert Glasper – Mission Statement (1:13)
20. Johnny Hodges – Come Sunday (2:31)
21. James Brown – Lost Someone (2:39)
22. Robert Glasper – Schiffman Cards (0:30)
23. Jimmy Smith – T’aint No Use (6:05)
24. Robert Glasper – Obama Returns To The Apollo (1:17)
25. Aretha Franklin – Rock Steady (3:14)
26. Kenny Burrell; Grover Washington, Jr. – Asphalt Canyon Blues (6:13)
27. Etta James – Something’s Got A Hold On Me (2:47)
28. Robert Glasper – Harlem Riots (2:11)
29. Dizzy Gillespie – Duke’s Last Soliloquy (3:06)
30. T. Griffin; Ta-Nehisi Coates – Excerpt From Stage Reading Of “Between The World And Me” (Live At The Apollo Theater, April 2018) (1:24)
31. Robert Glasper; Ledisi – Don’t Turn Back Now (4:37)
32. President Barack Obama – President Barack Obama At The Apollo Theater (0:29)
My intial thought was that this would be like some version of instrumental Mod Music, mixed with Austin Powers swingers meet Acid Jazz, but what I found was more fuzzed out psych, garage and rock nuggets if anything. Still did not disappoint in any way.
Here’s a quick rundown of the lost Jazz music folder I stashed away in early 2015, I may not have gotten to these albums then, but I found the folder hiding and added them to my now playing list, you should too.
The MP3s on this site are for sampling purposes only. Please support the artists by purchasing their (awesome) albums.
If you own the rights to a music file on this site and would like it removed, please write email@example.com and it shall be.
Dope Lemon-Smooth Big Cat
G&D-Black Love and War
half·alive-Now, Not Yet
The New Adventures of...P.P. Arnold
The Black Watch-Magic Johnson
Trumpets of Consciousness-Approximate
Murs-The Iliad is Dead, and the Odyssey It's Over
Marc Cohen and the Blind Boys of Alabama-Work To Do